Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Shut the door

I have nothing against arrogant pricks per se, although there is ample evidence that David Crosby fits that description to a tee.   But during his tenure in the Byrds he wrote some of the most gorgeous jangle pop ballads ever.  And not only could he construct a pretty melody but he often was a fine lyricist.   In fact - when he was "on" - his perceptions were insightful.   Perhaps the best example is his ode to broken hearts, Everybody's Been Burned from 1967's "Younger Than Yesterday".  His words of wisdom, coming at the very end of the song, shows him to be quite the optimist.   And I like that in a person.   Even if he is an arrogant prick.

I know all too well
How to turn, how to run
How to hide behind
A bitter wall of blue
But you die inside
If you choose to hide
So I guess instead, I'll love you...

No comments: